Friday, March 31, 2023

50 isn't what it used to be

Our 22yr old greatgrandson loads trucks and railroad cars.  My wife asked him how his work was going.  He said,"50 lbs isn't what it used to be."


Our cleaning lady is beautiful.  She is over 50 years of age and a grandmother.  Fifty years old isn't what it used to be.  We are living in an age of longevity.  Peter Drucker said years ago that 65 was too young an age to set for retirement.


I learned that one of my former students just celebrated her 50th birthday.  How can that be?  I taught college students.


One of the challenges of life is that we ourselves are constantly changing.  So being 50 looks different when I am ten years old from how it looks when I am 80 years old.  Plus commercial and political pressures and causes and lapses make the landscape and what is in it change all the time.  While I am watching and charting two steady changes, four more are changing behind my back. I notice that all sorts of aging goes on without my permission.


My daughter was a cute, intelligent little thing.  Now she is ready to retire.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby