Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Our dangerous planet of death

We are watching Michael Wyesession in his Great Course called "The World's Greatest Geological Wonders: 36 Spectacular Sites".  We have watched six of the 36 lectures.  Lynn looked over a Great Courses catalog

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/

and chose some that appealed to her.  Her first choice was this geological course. It certainly didn't appeal to me.  I mean rocks and cliffs and stuff.  But when your wife of decades likes something, it can be very worthwhile to go along with it, whether it is gin and tonic, or the Quaker Society of Friends, or The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah.  I have found that if you go along in a reasonably accepting manner, you get experiences you love that you would not even consider without using her brain and choices.  


A few lectures back, Prof. Wyesession described the earth burping a large dense mass of carbon dioxide gas that suffocated about 2000 people.  That happened in 1986 in the African country of Cameroon.  That comment got me thinking that geological events might happen in my neighborhood unexpectedly and unpleasantly.  


Last night, Wyesession discussed fossils.  They have been important for human understanding of the history of this planet and its life.  Wyesessiion said that often the longest lasting evidence of an animal is its teeth.  He said that I am living on a planet of death and that death leads to new life.  


I am not too worried.  In fact, I am sort of a hero as are you and others who live in precarious circumstances amidst dangers.  I have heard of volcanic eruptions and tsunamis but I am learning there are other possible things to get me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby