Friday, August 19, 2022

Where did I put that record?

I have heard that Mark Twain said,"Put all your eggs in one basket and WATCH THAT BASKET!"  When I am told not to put all my eggs in one basket, I take the advice to be offered for the sake of safety.  I think that modern insurance ideas emerged, in part, from shipping.  Back in the age of sailing ships, you know with actual sails, valuable cargo might sometimes be separated into shipments on several ships so that no one of them would sink with the entirety of the valuable goods. 


Book-keeping, record-keeping, file cabinets, alphanumeric ordering of records, filing systems, spreadsheets- all to keep order, to be able to find and recall things and to be able to browse, when desired.  I prefer the way Google lets me accomplish those things on various machines and devices.  Their Drive is a place to store data files, such as a Google Doc or Sheet.  Apple has its iCloud and Microsoft its OneDrive.  I understand that Amazon has a very large operation called AWS (Amazon Web Services) that does business with businesses that need storage for digital documents and records.  


Eric Schmidt was chairman of Google for about ten years.  He writes:

Eric Schmidt: Every 2 Days We Create As Much Information As We Did Up ...

Aug 4, 2010 Every two days now we create as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003, according to Schmidt. That's something like five exabytes of data, he says.


When we get into data creation and storage, we run into the bigger families of numbers.  Sometimes, the word "zillion" is used to mean a big number but "exabytes" and "petabytes" and other very biggies come up, too.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby