Sunday, August 21, 2022

Get them letters right!

I like to pester Google search with all manner of questions and inquiries.  My general rule of thumb is that the first page of results will always give me new insights and sources.  But I have found that if I am searching for something, getting the first letter of the search terms wrong will set me off in a very wrong direction.  All the letters matter, of course, but that first one is extra-important.


I like to look up an author to see something of the person's background and credentials and experience and reputation.  Things go even more haywire (what is it with the wire for hay, anyhow?) when more letters are off.  I found a book that sounded valuable.  I misremembered the author's first name as "Robin".  I was very surprised to find that Robin is an advocate for spanking, the old-fashioned being struck on the buttocks.  I think that the subject is spanking errant children, not dominating an adult.  At first, I thought, "Well, maybe this person writes both about my subject of non-zero games and also spanking" but finding several volumes on spanking and none about no-zero games and activities, I went back and found not Robin but Robert.  


I admire the book "A Place for Everything" which is actually the history of alphabetical order.  How can there be a history of alphabetical order?  It turns out that at one time, it was thought to be more properly religious to store books in the order of moral importance.  Then, it slowly became more common to use the first letter of the author's last name.  It evidently took many years before someone thought of using the second letter and subsequent letters to order the books.  


I read that at one time, finding a book in a mammoth library was very hit and miss and that the best strategy was often asking a librarian for information on where that book might be found,

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby