Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Book titles

I see book titles every day.  The subject of titles is interesting.  Without a title, a book or an article has no name.  Names matter.  They are the nouns we use to refer to things, including a book or an article.  Today, I found a book whose title gave me some pause.  It's "My Husband Has Died But That is Not the Funny Part." It seems to be about grief and paying attention to daily life after loss and enjoying humor where there is some to be found.


I imagine that creating an arresting title is rather different from writing a helpful or popular book.  Still, some titles show real imagination and intelligence, the sort that poets show, I think. I have enjoyed the title "Aloe and Good-bye" and I admire the title of the book about being a librarian that is called "Our Bodies, Our Shelves". There was a popular book about womanhood and being a woman called "Our Bodies, Ourselves".


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby