Friday, July 23, 2021

You Americans and Your Freedom

I am confident that most of us around here will stand up and salute if there is a call to honor "FREEDOM!".  Almost every politician and marketer can rely on doffs of the caps and smiles of agreement and support in support of freedom.  I have never lived in a place governed by strict laws or tyranny but from what I have heard and read, I wouldn't like it.  


Still, I wonder what sort of freedom I have.  I am free to write but I need to be careful not to slander or gossip or imply that I know what I don't.  But I am not free to drive too fast or in the wrong direction or lane.  I am free to get medical care if I can pay for it.  I am free to catch diseases from others and from floating viruses and bacteria.  


A professor friend of mine describes explaining to a student from a foreign country rights students had in connection with taking exams.  The student said, "You Americans and your freedom!"  I am interested in what freedoms we have and what we don't.  It seems to me that nature, politeness, consideration of others all limit what I can do.  But, they also guide me.  Google offers these:



Freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.


Right of trial by jury in civil cases.


Freedom from excessive bail, cruel and unusual punishments.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby