Friday, June 11, 2021

Getting an unexpected ebook

Yesterday, I called Amazon customer service.  I wanted better search tools on my computer for looking at ebooks I have sent as gifts.  I learned that the ability I sought and more was already available on the Amazon site.  The situation reminds me of my lack of exploring the abilities of my car to handle electronic devices.  I have read that among other things, Amazon's AWS is the largest web services company in the world.  So, I imagine Amazon has the people to accomplish just about anything in computing and cloud storage.


I like the Kindle reader.  I like that I can get a book for a low price in a way that is like a cell phone call.  I click or touch a screen and I have the book in a minute.  Ok, many books are not in Kindle form.  They pre-date the Kindle (2007 or 2008) or the potential readership is too low or some other limitation.  But the number and variety of books that are available is steadily growing.  The speed of delivery, the variable font size, the lack of weight or need for bookshelf type storage and the fact I can create a highlight with my fingertip and get all my highlights in a single computer file - all assets.


I can send a copy of an ebook to a friend if I have an email address for that person.  Yesterday, I learned from customer service how to find lists of books I have given as gifts that have not been accepted and those that have been.  I had about 200 books as gifts sent since 2014 that have not been accepted.  The existing software allows me to resend an invitation to accept a gift book I paid for but was never accepted. 


Some friends got an email explaining that I had sent them a gift of a particular book.  They might think it is a scam.  They might be irritated by my sending an ebook, whatever that is.  They might be very busy at the time and not remember to ok receiving it later.  Whatever the story, they didn't ever accept the book.  Then, today, here I am resending an invitation to accept a given book.  Who do I think I am?  


I am just a guy trying to clear up accounts.  You can probably contact Amazon and say you would like the cash value instead of the book.  You don't need a Kindle reader to see the book and read it.  You can put a Kindle app on a phone, tablet or computer to see the book.  Various friends have accepted an old gift hanging fire.  Just another day in the new, confusing world of modern computing and communication.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby