Saturday, January 4, 2020

Wordosphere

If I go out into the woods and shout, the sound dies away.  I think that is what happens. The vibrations of sound dissipate into undetectable levels.  That is the idea behind the notion of "cyberspace" or "cybersphere". If I send an email off to a non-existent address, we sometimes say it goes off into cyberspace.  We mean the realm of computer stuff that dies off somewhere. Maybe it too dissipates and dies off in multiple locations as unwanted, unrecognized, unvalued junk.  


I like a similar concept for human communications.  Think of all the human oral statements and exclamations, added to all the notes to the milkman, death warrants, birthday wishes, etc. that have been written or spoken ever.  That whole thing is the wordosphere. Much of the wordosphere has died away, just like my shout in the woods. An ancient Babylonian wife complained that her husband drank too much but her complaint has died out in the wordosphere.  Her daughter wrote to her beloved but the poem on papyrus has been lost to the ages.  


I have listened to many lectures and presentations but you should just take my word since I don't have records of what was said nor proof that I was within hearing (and was awake and conscious, but that is another story).  When I speak or write (or do interpretive dance or communicate in sign language or with gestures or suggestive pictures like emoticons -💪💪💪) the material message may be available in one form or another for seconds or centuries.  


I have read that there are about 6000 languages in use today and that one goes extinct every day.  But to complete the story of messages and words, we need to at least include Python and Fortran and other computer codes.  We should include various other codes and formats, I guess. Maybe the Cartesian way of making graphs and maps and some conventions used in making a movie or a machine and a theater to show it.  The wordosphere is very large and complex.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby