Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Pro and Con of Kindle Use

It seems that few of my friends are happy to use a Kindle.  As with anything, there are positives and negatives. The most common negative statement is something like "I prefer a book".  I think that means that a "book" has its own cover, individual pages of paper, a weight and a scent. I also hear that "I prefer to mark up my book" or "I prefer to highlight passages."  


I recommend using a Kindle ereader instead of a phone or tablet or computer application to read ebooks.  With a device devoted to reading and nothing else, picking up the Kindle is like picking up a book. There is some difference, since when reading in a Kindle, there can be a strong temptation to slip over into other books that are, after all, right there in the hand.


As I age, I find the Kindle's ability to change the font size makes reading easier, faster and less strain on the eyes.  Much typical reading material is printed in a font that is uncomfortably small.


Kindle books can be considerably cheaper than a paper book.  It is often the case that used copies of a book are cheaper still.  However, if I am interested in a particular book, I may be able to download it immediately from a library using the Overdrive or the Libby app.  Libby can direct the download into the Kindle reader and do so without any connection wires.


When I first used a Kindle reader about a decade ago, the speed and convenience of buying and obtaining a book from anywhere without any wired connections was my favorite feature.  But now that I have too many ebooks to get read in the rest of my life, I am used to that feature. Currently, the feature that I like is the collection of highlights. After I read a book, all the highlights I have made are available in a single downloaded file that gets sent to my email.  I can send that file to friends or post it:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/-joy-on-demand-highlights


An older Kindle can misbehave when turning pages. I use a Kindle Voyage and sometimes, it is difficult to get just one page to advance instead of several.  



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby