Saturday, August 24, 2019

Influencers

I have been having trouble emailing my blog to those who want to get it in that way.  There is a little window on the blog's web page that allows sign-up to get the blog through it.  I saw the little app and ok'd its placement on the page but I don't know much about it. 


I used to email each post to 150 people but I ran into trouble with many bounces, that is, rejections.  I have recently had similar problems. I don't foresee any big change in my blog or delivery but who knows?  The 2016 election and stories of Russian attempts to influence American voter opinion were probably the beginning of what seems to be a surge in the use of email, websites and electronic connection to videos, as on YouTube.  The questions about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many other avenues of communication surprised me. PBS had a two hour story about Facebook communication and the story told about attempts to increase hatred in various places including countries in Southeast Asia and in the Pacific.  


A key word in this increase in attempts to communicate, exemplify and persuade is the noun "influencer".  I first ran into the word about 6 months ago in something like the sentence "Many Chinese youth want to be influencers when they grow up."  If you put the term into your favorite search engine or search for books in online booksellers or libraries, you can quickly come to a rough understanding.  I recommend translating the word into "one's favorite online commentator". Suppose I start looking at Gertrude's weekly vlog (video blog) and I try the face cream Gertrude recommends.  I like it and it does seem to make me look young and handsome. Pretty soon, I am paying more attention to Gertrude's comments on politics, clothes and climate change. Gertrude is an influencer. From what I read this morning, Gertrude can successfully charge $200 for a mention and demo of a product in her vlog if she has 2,000 to 10,000 followers (subscribers) and twice that for 5 to 10 times that many followers.   


I am not paid by anyone for any sort of mention.  I could simply write for myself in an old-fashioned diary.  I do value the comments, reactions and extensions of ideas that come my way from readers of my blog.  The blog does continue to appear on its own web page, where there are snippets of other blogs I like. I do mention products that I like, such as books I read or electronic readers I read them in.  I think it would be quite possible to move Fear, Fun and Filoz to a different platform (supporting company) than Google Blogger.


You can see the potential for vastly increased traffic and demand for email, blog communication and the possibility of more problems emailing each post.  Stay tuned. I had no problems that I know of this morning and I did switch from four batches to five. In this email, I have inserted no pictures and no links but sending out copies may not always be possible.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby