Sunday, November 26, 2017

Same old lettuce serenade

I was impecunious in college.  I mean I had very little money.  That was not a big problem since I didn't really need much of it.  I was also a lightweight wrestler.  I didn't have much trouble being below the weight I was supposed to be.  But between low money and low food allowance, I sometimes took a leaf of lettuce, salt and peppered it, rolled in up and ate it.  Tasted good and assuaged my appetite at low cost and low weight gain.


Fast forward 60 years.  We had turkey for dinner yesterday.  That means today, with knife and tearing fingers, strip the meat off the bird.  Take a scale and put about 8 oz. of meat into small plastic bags.  After about ten bags, take a large zip bag, label it 'turkey', insert the small bags.  But save some of the nice slices of white breast for turkey sandwiches with mayonnaise and lettuce.  


After sandwiches, there were a few pieces of lettuce that were not needed for the meal.  "Want some lettuce?", she asked. "Sure," he said,"eating lettuce leaves makes me feel young."  Knowing his history, you can understand why.  


So, if you happened to pass our kitchen and heard 2 elderlies singing "You make me feel so young", through mouthfuls of lettuce, instead of muttering "Not that again", give a thought to the lovely lettuce plant and the way it can inspire song and delight.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby