Monday, November 27, 2017

Don't go!

It can be a shock when my friends have medical troubles. Things are humming along and suddenly I find they are hospitalized or deceased.  No fair! I thought I could count on them to be around for as long as I wanted them to be.  They may well think the same way.  

I have heard of "sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" and the unresponsive state of death.  I guess it is not just a rumor and I can expect most of myself and most of my friends to pass away.  I am not sure why the idea saddens me as much as it does.  I don't see or hear from them very often.  It is not that we have daily contact.  Still, please don't leave.  Not yet.  

It is true that photographs and maybe a few audio or video recordings might refresh my memory or allow some recall and the semblance of their presence.  It is true that a bit of their DNA may be found but that certainly isn't going to help much.  Maybe with the right technology, a bit of the DNA could be used to recreate a friend who has left but I am not sure how much it will help if I am a senior citizen and my friend is just now (re)born.  I read of attempts to create artificial intelligence that can simulate my father and his gestures, typical comments, gait and such and that might indeed help.  

Many generations before me have had to bear being left and I suppose I must, too.  I would appreciate it if they managed to stay around for a while.  

I am afraid that sending each friend an email that says "I love you.  I enjoy you.  Please stay", it will just creep them out.  I did more or less try that sort of thing with my mother.  Telling people that you love and care about, how you feel can help but much of the fun of friendship is its continuation, its on-going-ness.  I just don't want my friend or our friendship to come to an end.  In a way, I guess my mother and I knew that we liked each other, loved each other.  There was no last minute revelation that was really needed.  If you have another idea that might help me, please let me know.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby