Saturday, October 4, 2014

Birds in Art show

The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Gallery in Wausau has a fall exhibit every year called "Birds in Art."  Some people look down on representational art but we don't and we loved the exhibit.  Such skill!  Such imagination!


The first picture to grab me was one of some quail.  The feathers just leaped out of the picture, they were so real. Then, I saw a picture of some small colorful birds on the heads and shoulders of some marble statues.  I am pretty sure I could see the birds moving a little and I could hear them.  There is a picture of a giraffe's neck with many small birds on it.  The birds are "oxpeckers" and they eat the bugs and seeds in the coats of the large animals.


The Birds in Art show is the premier of its kind in the world, a very highly regarded exhibit of nature art.


We watched "Words and Pictures" with Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen.  The high school English teacher and a visiting artist battle to show which is more powerful, words or pictures.  In life, both words, spoken and written, and handmade drawings, photos, videos and sight matter a great deal, all day every day.  I have read that no species reads so much information from outer appearance of each other as humans do of their faces.  I am very glad to have vision and to have lived life with it.


Still, I don't consider myself a vision or appearance person.  I tend to be more affected by speech or writing, much of the time.  Nevertheless, some art, including the natural phenomena such as the sea or the sunset can grab me deeply.  I think a visit to Birds in Art is very worth the time or to your nearest art museum, wherever it may be.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby