Thursday, September 18, 2014

Not this and not now

I wrote that I would send a second Harvard publication but I didn't.  My days are completely revolving around computer andcommunication technology.  Don't worry: I can quit whenever I want, he said.  Whether it is the mailbox or the inbox or the chat window or the Hangout window or Facetime or Twitter or….., it is definitely possible to get more stuff than one wants.  If you want Harvard Medicine News, a free weekly by email, go here

Americans are a speedy, impatient people.  They don't like to wait and they like things NOW.  I am very American but I find that life brings me the chance to practice a little patience over and over.  If I going to do a and b and c, I have to decide when each can fit in.  If b and c are going to be done with friends or helpers or experts, things get a lot more complicated.  I may find that I can't go shopping with my wife, without whom my shopping for clothes for me is a waste of time, unless we compare calendars and commitments.  I like things NOW and waiting is not what I would choose but there may simply be no alternative.  Plan ahead, work cooperatively with others or forget it.  A chance to work on my patience!

Between trying to sort my mailbox and improve the value of what I pay attention to and trying to work cooperatively with others, I get lots of opportunities to breathe deeply, look at my Kindle and just gaze about me. I am practicing. Honest.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby