Friday, June 11, 2010

Forty-two years ago

Today is Thursday, June 10.  Forty-two years ago, June 10 was a Monday.  It was an important day in my life because I began teaching as an assistant professor that day.  I had done some teaching on the university level earlier for the University of Maryland but I was a graduate assistant then and didn't have quite the same responsibilities.  This day, I taught summer school sessions of educational psychology and a seminar for master's students in which they were to write a paper that more or less served as a thesis.  I came with a PhD in research methods, measurement and statistical analysis so I felt more than prepared for the seminar.  I had a doctoral minor in psychology and one in philosophy, too, so I ought to have been prepared for the ed psych course.  However, despite having a bachelor's in elementary education as well, I had never had a course in educational psychology, as such. 

I didn't realize that the ed psych class would be a mixture of elementary and secondary majors taking the course as a requirement for student teaching and certification by the university and the state as teachers.  Doctoral students are required to do lots of reading and thinking and I had done that.  A common focus in graduate school is theory, whose theory of what and how does evidence and experience support and confirm the theory.  But, I had also taught for four years in the 5th grade, an experience I enjoyed wholeheartedly and might not have left without a strong need for more money for my family and me.  In getting my elementary education major, I found there seemed to be little logic and system to the work I was required to do.  I did not enjoy that experience so when I found I was required to go for an advanced degree for continued certification as a teacher, I explored options.  One option was a master's degree in the teaching of science or mathematics but in exploring that path, I found it would be too long and expensive to acquire the needed undergraduate background required in most schools.  I thought about my experiences and concluded that I would like to focus on research and methods of research that might ultimately put teacher training on a more formal and systematic basis. 

Through good luck as well as assistance in both guidance and scholarships, I got involved in a doctoral program that seemed just right.  It was fun and I learned a great deal. 

When my wife went for her doctorate at a very different school in a very different time, about 28 years later, she faced a great deal of reading related to postmodernism and philosophical doubt and the recognition of assumptions and arbitrary methods and ideas from our cultures and habits that govern our thinking.  I did not and had never heard of those subjects as a college student, a teacher or a young assistant professor.  They might well have shortened periods of confusion and unhappiness in my undergraduate teacher training.  But even without them, I knew for a strong fact that teachers need to know plenty about themselves personally to be able to read and understand their students.  It took several years for me to get a grasp of what I might do with my classes that would assist them but I started on the job right away.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby