Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Faces

Watching The Human Spark, I heard a scientist say again how important faces are among us humans.  Most babies are born with an innate ability to focus on the eyes of Mommy and other humans.  They can and do track the location of the eyes in a face as the face moves around to the other side of them.  Evidently, no other species of any kind are known to use faces or anything like them in quite the same way.

I read a quote from Temple Grandin, the famous woman scientist with autism, that the hardest thing she has ever tried to learn was reading the emotions of others from their facial expression.  She said that when she was first told that humans look in other in the eyes often and gain information about the other person's emotions from doing so, she simply didn't believe it.  I sympathize with the author of "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's".  You can see from the cover art how frightening or foreign the idea of looking in another's eyes are to such a person.

Since humans are looking at each others' face very frequently, over and over, the person who avoids doing so stands out, seems different.  Among children, teens and other groups who are sensitive to difference, such behavior can quickly lead to ostracism, isolation or a limiting reputation. 

Personally, I wonder why those who don't feel much from looking at others' faces find it hard to look at others.  I would think that it might mean little and therefore be easy.  Maybe in a sense, it is, just another thing to glance at and look elsewhere. 

I have tried to be sensitive to facial expressions and reading them but I find that my sense of another's emotions often comes from awareness of my own feelings.  I think I pick up some idea of others' feelings from their body position, especially if they shift to a new position at just about the same time I am feeling a strong emotion.  Of course, with a man, woman or child, if I see tears or near tears, I know they are feeling strong emotions.  That often happens just when I am, too.

I have read that women in many cultures are taught to avoid looking directly at a man and that in some cases, a woman can communicate her interest in a man by looking at him directly, and perhaps repeatedly.  In a somewhat similar way, a man might challenge another man by looking at him steadily and/or often.  Then, the other man might respond with "What are you looking at ?"  Such a response might be similar to asking "Are you looking for trouble?"

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby