Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Loading distractors and no numbers

Complaints about web pages these days - I read about Dan Kaminsky and his IronFrame.  I have used the more recent versions of Firefox with their little open-book icon up in the URL (web address) window that leads into their "reader view".  But the basic problems are still front and center.  

The main problem is over-hunger for attention.  There are at least two forces besides simple energetic competition, the desire to win, be the best, surpass old records and set a new world record.  One is the hope that if more people learn about my business, I will make more money and have enough to do whatever.  The other is an obligation to show words and pictures, maybe moving pictures and sounds to as many others as I can cram them into.  Such an obligation arises if I am in an advertising business where I have taken money from people with a promise to show ads about their product or service to others, the more others the better.

If you are reading a book and someone comes along and snatches it out of your hands, you would probably feel instantly annoyed.  If your grandson did something like that, his parents and you would explain that he had displayed bad manners and you didn't want to see that behavior again.  When I am reading a web page on my iPad and suddenly a full page ad for something out of the blue slides across the screen, with a little note that I will be able to skip the ad in 7 seconds, I feel instantly annoyed.

The American (and maybe general world) practice of having some paid ads after a few minutes of a television show was bad enough.  Inserting ads randomly or purposely at the most exciting or delicate parts of the story would have been far more objectionable. No matter how determined you are to show me your wonderful product, you should avoid enraging me if you want my business and support.  

I am also getting emails about great sales that contain no numbers, just a brightly colored web pages touting "Sheets" or "Electronics" or whatever.  I am invited to click on the item of interest but I won't.  If you have a great price on sheets or calculators, you need to tell me about it right off.  I have already taken the trouble to open your message.  Now it is your turn.  Don't flub it.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby