Friday, September 4, 2015

Beautiful

When I was 34, I had lunch with an art expert.  He asked me what sort of art I liked after I expressed little interest in what I had seen in the Tate Gallery, Britain's main modern art museum.  I said that I thought a beautiful woman was the most beautiful thing in the world but that some of the abstract figures and paintings I had seen did nothing for me.  Even as I said that, I thought this sophisticated man is going to think I am a dummy, hung up on female forms and turning up my nose at Francis Bacon (modern British artist, not the philosopher of earlier times)

Image result for francis bacon artist  Image result for francis bacon artist


and Henry Moore

Image result for henry moore sculpturesImage result for henry moore sculptures


But recently I was having a sit-down with a small group of super-mature, super-aware and super-sophisticated men who were considering the question "What is beautiful?"  The group quickly settled on the ultimate of beauty being a beautiful woman.  

Image result for beautiful woman

I was surprised, partly because this group is professionally dedicated to not agreeing on any question at all.  But I also still felt a little chagrined at my younger self showing what I assumed was lack of sophistication.  Their focus made me feel like I wasn't so silly after all.  I am on a college campus rather often and I see young women, both students and professors, that are stunningly beautiful.  


Just now, in looking over what Google presents as results for "beautiful woman", I first limited the search to images approved for non-commercial use.  Then, I tried to find an image that showed a beautiful woman but I found that it is not easy to explore that subject without getting mixed up with "attractive" women and "sexy women".  I finally selected the image above because it is not especially revealing or provocative.  But even as an older guy, I can say that I would probably steal a few extra glances at her in a party or a meeting.


The older I get, the more I can see the child in a twenty year old woman.  I know that many woman of that age are well-educated, and strong and smart.  I know they are ready to bear children and they will be good mothers.  But at my age, a more mature woman is actually more beautiful.  She is more interesting and has more character in her face.  We can both see that in this picture:

Image result for beautiful grandmother




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby