Saturday, July 18, 2015

What is that music?

I have read that Franz Joseph Haydn moved to London for a while to compose and present music to crowds of followers and enthusiasts.  He is quoted as saying that when composing for the English, "you have to hit them in the ear."  That is, one needs to present music with a strong beat.  I have lots of English ancestry and the lack of appreciation for the delicate and the sophisticated is in me.


I like marches, waltzes and emphatic classical music.  Give me a simple line and emphasize the beat, please.  I was the drum sergeant in my high school drum and bugle corp.  Is it by chance that the drum sergeant was also responsible for training the majorettes and flag twirlers from the girls' high school across the street?


A tune and a nice rhythm kept coming in my head but I couldn't place it.  Today, I tried Google Play Music and the first album that showed up was Baroque Trumpet Concertos by the super excellent French trumpeter Maurice Andre (1933-2012).  The piece that played was exactly the one I have been trying to identify.  It is the trumpet voluntary by Jeremy Clarke, evidently also called The Prince of Denmark's March.


It is very clear that one arrangement of a piece of music is not the same as another.  The link above goes to an arrangement with Andre playing and no organ parts inserted.  The "Trumpet Voluntary" by Clarke was written about the year 1700 and it very well known, except by me. Here is another majestic rendition, worth listening to and watching the accompanying slides.  I have often felt that a nice bit of music can be as satisfying as a cold drink, a good joke or a witty and helpful comment.


I know there are pieces of software that can "listen" to music and identify the tune.  I knew the tune, or my version of it and I tried to sing it to one of the programs but it didn't help.  Lynn is way more experienced in music than I am but she couldn't get the program to help us either.  Now, by chance, I know I have it in my own collection and I know two names for the piece, when it was written and the name of the composer.  Getting a tune more or less stuck in your head is sometimes called "having an earworm".  Usually, if I get annoyed by an earworm, I can just listen to one of my other favorites and get a new one.  Meditation, with its serious and concentrated quieting of the mind, helps, too.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby