Friday, February 13, 2015

It is getting late already!

Seasons run from the 21st day of a month to the 21st of another month, three months later.  That is not 100% precise but it is close enough for basic use.  Three months is just the calender, of course, and the weather itself may run slightly differently.  Still, at 30 days per month, we get 90 days for a season.  So, starting from the 21 of the beginning month of each season, we get the approximate mid-point of the season on the 5th or 6th of the 2nd month after the beginning.


season

approx. mid-point

winter

Feb. 5

spring

May 5

summer

August 5

fall

Nov. 5


What this means is that we are already losing winter.  Animals know it: they often get their mating done about this time of the year so that the babies are born at the beginning of a time of warmth.  Humans know it: they often have important celebrations of spring. Seed catalogs are out and gardeners are planning, maybe even starting seedlings inside to get going a bit ahead.  


Today is the 12th and next Tuesday is the famous Fat Tuesday ("Mardi Gras"), the last day before the observance of Lent. I am not Catholic but 40 days of some sort of discipline can appeal to anyone.  My grad school observer regularly gave up all candy from Egypt that comes in a bag.  I am not sure if I will give up anything or not.  I am sure that things are heating up and I might as well face the coming of spring.  


I did prune some of our trees yesterday and I realized that I didn't have a great deal of time left to do that in the cold, before the sap starts to run and the trees bloom.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby