Friday, February 6, 2015

Basic change

I have many female friends and I have had for a long time.  In kindergarten, I had a girlfriend. Even before that, I had my buddy sibling, my sister.  In 2nd and 3rd grade, I was fascinated by several wonderful girls.  I am happily married to a wonderful woman and have been for more than 54 years.


All my life, I have been attracted to females, their skin, their bodies, their smell, their voices, etc., etc.  So the evidence and my history are rather unequivocal: I am a male and I like females.  I do not seem to be a good candidate for being attracted to males or masculinity.  The slant in me is probably part of the animal kingdom's general charge to males: fight other males and get close to the females.  I accept that duty and feel fine carrying it out.


I know that Amazon.com is into the film creation and production game.  I have heard that one of Amazon's original productions, called very cleverly "Transparent", won a handful of Golden Globe awards.  I gave the pilot a bit of a viewing and so did Lynn.  We find that we are not charmed by the use of the F word and its relatives, especially if used two or three times a minute.  Such language strikes us oldies, sometimes referred to as "wrinklies" evidently, as dumb and insensitive.  We didn't make it through the pilot of the series.  So, we never got to the point of the pilot, which is to let the 56 yr old widower tell his adult children that he plans to go through all the steps to become a woman.


After realizing what the theme of "Transparent" is, I got hit with another piece of news.  Bruce Jenner, world decathlon champion, also plans to go through the medical and psychological steps which will transform him from being a man to being a woman.


I think that in the 1920's and 30's, some people in Europe and America were charmed by the emerging Soviet Union.  It looked from some angles as though it might be the emerging best nation ever.  Some youth felt that stuffy old Mom and Dad did not represent the right way to live and became convinced that their future lay with communism.  It would be a shock for the parents but they had a duty to inform them of the path they planned to choose.

 

It might have been a similar situation in the 90's when some youth felt that natural paths were out-of-date and it was time to reveal to Mom and Dad that inner examination had revealed what needed to be faced openly.  Some of those youths had come to the realization that they were in fact gay.  Shocking as it was, the fact needed to be faced.


I am wondering after Bradley Manning transformed into Chelsea Manning, Bruce Jenner is transforming and the Amazon show has gathered accolades, if it will be fashionable for some to cross the gender line.  I imagine that such a change is demanding and rigorous and quite a challenge to manage.  I have always been thankful that I seem to be fully anchored in a gender role that is a common and typical one.  In one of the books by John Money, sexologist, he mentions humans who transformed naturally from young girls into young men who later fathered children.


I think the sex/gender line is a tricky one, no matter what sort of person one is. 



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby