Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Friendly ignorance

When I hear of an event that I don't like, that I don't want, my first reaction is negative emotion.  I am wired that way and I don't know exactly why but I suspect it may be a good way to be wired.  After all, there is such a thing as evolution and it may be that having negative emotional reactions to what was not planned, not hoped for, and immediately disliked works better in the long run.  I realize that many of the great religions and philosophies counsel acceptance of events in my life and I do find that acceptance is comfortable and inexpensive, when I can muster it.


However, there are times when the question arises "Why?"  Why is such a lovely couple splitting up?  Why is my kid having such trouble with chemistry? Why does my knee hurt?  Often, the question Why?  is short for "let me know more so that I can find a way to prevent an event I don't like".  The instrumental Why that seeks knowledge of tools for intervention or alteration of the future reminds me of the book of Job.  You may remember Satan showed at God's and, paraphrasing here, said he had been 'sploring and had come across Job.  God hopes that the Master of the Underworld noticed Job's exemplary behavior but Satan scoffs.  Sure, the guy is all sweet and nice now but you have been giving him a good life.  Give him a few problems and watch him spit in your face.  God falls for the challenge and Job gets unwarranted suffering.  Job eventually gets irritated what with one tragedy after another and asks God what the heck is going on.  God reminds him how little he actually knows about the world.  


In the long run, it is only with complete and eternal knowledge that we can really say what is helpful and what isn't.


This up and down of luck is emphasized in the Chinese (and Jewish) story:

One day, the farmer's horse ran away, and all the neighbors gathered in the evening and said 'that's too bad.'

He said 'maybe.'

Next day, the horse came back and brought with it seven wild horses. 'Wow!' they said, 'Aren't you lucky!'

He said 'maybe.'

The next day, his son grappled with one of these wild horses and tried to break it in, and he got thrown and broke his leg. And all the neighbors said 'oh, that's too bad that your son broke his leg.'

He said, 'maybe.' The next day, the conscription officers came around, gathering young men for the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. And the visitors all came around and said 'Isn't that great! Your son got out.'

He said, 'maybe.'


We don't really know what is for the best much of the time.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby