Friday, July 11, 2014

Disconcerting good moods and the blender

A friend tells me that I am usually in a "disconcertingly good mood".  It can be off-putting to be too damned cheerful, especially when there is no good damned reason to be.  I have tried to be in a worse mood but much of the time, I fail to achieve that.  Lately, we have had good sunshine, pleasant temperatures and enough rain to keep things growing and green.


I think maybe as I have gotten older, I have become more stubborn.  I feel unwilling to be in a down mood without a very good reason.  I understand much of the world is hungry, frightened, threatened and thirsty for good water.  I think if I wait to be in a good mood until a majority of the 7 billion people alive now are in a fine state, I won't enjoy any of my remaining years.  So, I do strive to make hay while the sun shines, to take the opportunity to be happy with good things I experience and understand now, while they are actually good and I know about them.


About a month ago, I got a new blender.  It is a Ninja brand and powerful.  Lynn uses it to make smoothies for breakfast, using lots of fruit, some protein powder, some nuts and some greens.  Hearing it run and seeing it getting washed makes me think of the way the world runs.  You may have heard that you and everyone you know and love will die at some point.  As far as I know, that is true.  The blender and the compost pile are good examples of the recycling of nature.  Eventually, I am going to be recycled.  My atoms will be part of the water your grandchildren drink or elements in the body of the birdies that fly over your nursing home.  The way it all works is all planned out.  I don't have to worry and I don't have to resist.


As I mentioned, the Mary Oliver poem "Mindful" zapped one of my incipient down moods recently.  She calls herself "good scholar" because she keeps her attention on the lessons of life and beauty that are everywhere.  She asks how she can fail to be wise with such examples all around.  Look at your hand: what a miracle!  Someone loves you?  'Nother miracle!  Don't bother counting your blessings.  You can't see them all and you can't count that high.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby