Saturday, May 31, 2014

Storing things on unknown computers

I guess it started with the world wide web itself.  How about if we arrange wiring and coding and electronic signals so that information I write on my computer can be read from your computer.  If a large number of us make that sort of arrangement, we might have a Napster-like movement.  That was when people started sharing the music recordings they had purchased and I guess the practice had an enormous impact on recording sales.  On the other hand, I think the entire idea of the internet as originally conceived by the American government agency DARPA was to put copies of important documents in so many places that it would be unlikely they might all be destroyed.  


My documents are not very important but having them stored somewhere among Google's computers or Amazon's or Microsoft's or Dropbox's or somebody's might be a good idea.  It would probably mean the memory size of this computer or others I use is more or less irrelevant.  My own storage can be extensive and cheap, too.  I saw the other day that I could buy 2 terabytes of memory  storage for under $100.  1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte and 1000 gigs = 1 terabyte so that is 2000 gigabytes for under $100.


But the deal is that I have to keep that little external hard drive with me and not drop it or submerge it in water or forget it in a hotel room, etc.  I get up to 15 gigs free from Google and you do, too.  I can retrieve it from Google from any computer or other device connected to the internet.  I keep all my blog posts on Google Drive and all 1600 of them and a few other things come to less than 1% of the 15 gigs.


I have begun putting my music from iTunes into Google Play.  I am not sure how it will work out but i like having everything available on all devices and computers.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby