Friday, May 30, 2014

powers of now

I have read that dogs answer the question What time is it? the same way every time: "Now".  It is fairly easy to assume that animals always live in the present and spend little or no time reflecting on the past or making plans for the future.  There have been discoveries and research recently that casts doubt on our understanding of animal thinking, which of course varies a great deal from species to species.  Still, it does seem that the other animals spend little time on nostalgia or planning and predicting.


Sitting still for 10 or so minutes is a very good prescription for what ails you, whatever that might be.  The purpose of meditation is to train awareness and attention so that one becomes more mindful of what one is doing with one's mind.  During that time of mind training, one seeks to avoid getting caught up in thoughts, daydreams, reflections and other mental activities and tangles.  Locating the present moment and focusing on, say, one's breathing and paying attention to it, even returning to it during those moments when the mind wanders off to replays of recent delights or fears of this or that strips away complex dialogue and storylines to just exist in quiet, to just be.


Eckhart Tolle's well known book, The Power of Now, focuses on the value of practicing awareness of the current moment, the current situation, the body's state, this moment, life as it is and feels and looks right now.  The usual advice combines deep relaxation with such awareness of now, to drop unnecessary tension in the muscles.  Being in a state of low tension does not necessarily mean being in a positive or friendly state, however.  I have noticed the possibility of being firmly in the now while regarding my neighbor, my friend, my pet, and the rocks and trees in my yard equally.



One of the powers inherent in awareness of the current moment is the power to regard all things and everything equally.  I can look at the notice of my jury duty, the letter saying I have been diagnosed with cancer and the notice that I have won the lottery with equal dispassion.  I can look at a loaded gun pointing at me and a delicious plum ready to be bitten with the same unruffled calm.  As I increase the depth of my immersion in the now, I can pick and choose what to react to, and what to ignore with more clarity and confidence.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby