Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Good stuff

When you are in the mood for some stimulating information, with no commercials, take another look at the TED talks.  I could insert a link to each of the talks we found surprising, uplifting, informative but if I do that,I will have enough links that I will probably get stopped as spam.  So, I will insert one link to the TED talks over all and just mention the names of the individual talks that I recommend.  I have no idea how many there are in total but the number is high.

Maz Jobrani is an Iranian-American comedian.  He has at least two talks:
"A Saudi ,an Indian and an Iranian Walk into a Bar"
"Did You Hear the One About the Iranian-American?"
I laughed at the first one but had more laughs with the second one.  As Jobrani emphasizes, Americans don't see Middle Easterners laughing but the first one listed shows them doing so.  It is fun to see healthy, happy laughs from women dressed in Middle Eastern clothing, something I don't think I have ever seen before.

Lisa Harouni: A primer on 3D printing and Anthony Atala: Printing a human kidney
You may be pretty sure you are not interested in 3D printing but I urge you to get a little familiar with the concept, which holds all sorts of potential, probably both good and not-so-good.  This is basically printing, that is, manufacturing, objects, small ones at first.

I rarely hear the word "architect" or "architectural" in conversations or what I read.  Not so smart of me since several of my family are involved in the business of construction.  Here, in Wisconsin, of course, we make heavy use of our houses while winter settles around us.  There are several interesting-sounding talks on TED about architecture, including some I intend to get back to.  When coupled with 3D printing, medicine, chemistry and genetics, the whole idea of architecture, including that of nano-science of the very small, takes on a new importance.  Well, new to me, anyhow. So,
Michael Hansmeyer: Building unimaginable shapes  
Think it wouldn't be possible to build something you can't imagine?  Take a look at his talk.

Next, a telephone call to diagnose the level of Parkinson's disease you are suffering from, a talk by Max Little: A test for Parkinson's with a phone call.

Finally, take the time to watch Ernesto Sirolli explain that if you want to help someone, shut up and listen!  I can assure you that you will be moved by him.
--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby