Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Common bother

The Center for Disease Control has a web page that discusses the difference between a cold and the flu.  It stresses that they are very similar and sometimes impossible to tell apart.  There is the statement that different viruses are responsible and that colds are not as severe as flu.  Besides the difference in viruses involved, the page stresses that having a fever is far more common with the flu.

You may be interested to know that there is a web site flu.gov which certaintly has a great deal of information on it.

I try to write posts that are related to what is happening in my life.  I didn't realize when I read some mathematician on the inspirational value of staying focused on what is happening how much I had absorbed his remark. I know, I know, we can't really perceive what is happening, only a narrow slice of all around us can be perceived and even then we have a limited model of what's real and current.  Don't bother me with that just now.  Go tell your mother she wants you.

The point is what happens daily is current, of course, and relevant and therefore worth considering.  What has been happening with us is colds.  16 days ago, we drove 165 miles south from Ironwood to Stevens Point.  Lynn experienced a strong runny nose on the drive.  She is now on the mend.  I had mild symptoms for about a week.

I tried to not get anything from her.  But living and loving make not exchanging germs difficult.  I read this interesting piece a while ago about research at a card table on the difficulty of not transmitting germs from person to person.  Hands, breathing, sneezing all participate in getting those bugs over there over here.  

My basic approach has been
  • naproxen for aches and stiffness, two tablets at breakfast and two at dinner
  • a decongestant to reduce stuffiness
  • gargling with salt/aspirin for the throat
  • slices of raw garlic for basic inhospitality for germs (and others)
  • plenty of liquids: coffee, green tea, herbal tea
  • I often take Zicam, mentioned by one of my pharmacists

The Center for Disease Control website says colds can be fought with or without medication.  I am fairly confident that my steps increase my comfort.  I would, though, like to get better at avoiding the rhinoviruses (nose bugs) that I am told are responsible.  I just downloaded the Kindle version of Viruses: A Very Short Introduction by Prof. Barbara H. Crawford of the virology department of the University of Edinburgh so I am going the win the next round.
--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby