Sunday, May 6, 2012

Incoming!

I have not served in the military so what I know or think I know about it is hearsay and movie dramas.  In the movies, the shout of "incoming!" means a shell has been launched at you and you should try for protective cover immediately.  Today, when I title this post "Incoming!", I mean something more ambiguous.  Maybe great, maybe stressful and a little damaging.  I guess it depends on the attitude of the receiver, you.

On my browser's bookmark tool bar, I keep direct links to things that seem important, at least for a while.  I do many things with Google services and branches and many with Amazon.  When I place a new bookmark up on that toolbar, it is a sign that the web site and service related are important.  I like the fact that the toolbar is a limited space.  True, I can make folders on it and a folder will contain nearly unlimited links in a list but that somewhat defeats the purpose of the bookmarks toolbar.  I like it to show the site directly where I can see it.

This morning, I saw my link to "To the Best of Our Knowledge", a show on Wisconsin Public Radio.  Realizing I hadn't looked at the site lately, I clicked on it.  Incoming!  All sorts of great people, great interviews, great ideas, great books!  Too many to deal with.  Painfully mainly since they are simply not all going to get attention, just as Julia Sweeney's 1000 novels that everyone should read are not going to be read.  I try.  I have more than 500 books in my Kindle.  I have 600 more titles on my Kindle wish list.  That is more than enough.  

Too much incoming to handle it all.  While I examine every thought (often in microseconds only), I really can't respond to every possibility.  Too old, too weak, too stubborn, too selfish.  I refuse to so crowd myself that there is not time for anything new.  That is a fact and it only gets to be a worse problem as more people do more great things and communicate more effectively about them.  There is always the pain of cutting back on what I read, view, etc.  My appetite is bigger than my capacity.  My hunger is bright and shiny but my time and brain are more down-to-earth.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby