Thursday, May 3, 2012

Three books on eating and health

As I wrote recently, I had some bread from special, local bakeries lately and it seemed especially satisfying.  Five or so years ago, my doctor pointed out my blood sugar reading of 113 and said that was enough to qualify as "pre-diabetic".  In other words, watch it.  Since then, Lynn has developed the same problem.  We know from experience and the use of a home meter that both sugary things, such as our beloved ice cream, and starchy things such as pasta, white rice and the ubiquitous white flour in every tempting pastry, roll and Danish definitely raise our blood sugar level.  

The very satisfying bread was 100% whole wheat according to the in-store labels.  Since I had just looked at The Autism Revolution's sections on diet, I have heard of interest in comparisons between today's eating and that of our ancestors of 10,000 years or so ago, and been hearing about people modifying their eating to lessen or eliminate inflammation of any kind in their bodies, I decided to look at three books that seem promising for various reasons.  

They are:
  • The Autism Revolution by Martha Herbert, PhD, MD
  • The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan by Monica Reinagel
  • The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! by Mark Hyman, MD

I am finding increased research results connecting what we eat, the state of our health, our energy levels and our moods.  The number one difficulty seems to be sweet soda drinks, not good for our health and blocking the eating of healthier foods.  There are many related problems and they relate to processed foods instead of fruits and vegetables.  I may write more about the contents and my experiences with the ideas over the coming months.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby