Saturday, April 21, 2012

Alerts

Listening to Martha Herbert, I heard her calmly mention email alerts as a tool:
"If you start putting your email alerts onto gut-brain interactions, you get a lot of new science."  Email alerts?  If I start putting them on something?  What was that all about?  I was interested in looking into this tool she was mentioning as though everyone already uses.  So, as usual, I put "email alerts" into Google and was led to the Google Alerts page.

http://www.google.com/alerts


There are just a few choices: what subject, just the best or everything Google can find, how often do you want a report and where should it be delivered.  

Because meditation for 10 minutes a day is so possible, so inexpensive, and pays off in so many ways, I am fascinated to watch knowledge of its uses slowly spread around the world.  This is a process that has been at work since the days of Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) and William James (1842-1910).  But as modern Americans will do, they are interested in starting their kids on the practice since it can pay off so well in so many mind, body and spirit ways.  I am cautious about leading kids into things too early and putting too many burdens and assignments on them.  However, the possibility is important.  

So, I made an alert on "children meditation" and asked for just its choice of the best results (whatever that means) to be delivered once a week.  I put the result of my first report on a web page on my KirbyVariety site:
https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/results-of-google-alert-on-children-meditation

You can create multiple alerts and it does seem to be a very valuable tool to gently concentrate on something you want to follow.  The results can be delivered to your current email address using the "feed" choice.  A weekly result will bring you back to the subject rhythmically.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby