Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Yea and Nay on Duty

Yesterday's post was about the part of us that attempts to be the best little boy [or girl] in the world.  At quite young ages, we don't have much in the way of obligations or even goals beyond pleasing our parents, obeying them and playing.  I read with some surprise that Freud thought that our early infant stage, when all we could do was cry regardless of the reason and then we had our problem magically solved, was the basis for our inner feelings that things ought to go our way, since they used to, in the crib.

I can still feel puffed with pride when I have done my job well, whatever the job is.  I imagine there is something in all of us that can feel good about a mission completely accomplished.  So when a friend wrote this:

I perceive DUTY as an important value, right up there with patience, kindness, courage, etc. It is a value, like chastity, that our current society disdains, however. There is a real thrill and sense of satisfaction that comes from fulfilling one's duty...not in a mindless, mechanical, fear-ridden way, but with honor and understanding.

I answered," I agree.  I feel all bright and shiny when I have done my duty well."

But when another friend said this:

I'm thoroughly a green--by birth and by training. I'm a bright person, so I'm up to the challenge. Seems like the best way to be. And I am SICK of trying to deal with the fools in those other three categories : ) They make no sense to me, and they're obstructive pains in the ass. I'm not much anymore forced to work with them, so I mostly want them to stay out of my way. I don't care too much any more about trying to understand them. I also don't even really care anymore what that says about my deep inner flaws.   If I need to figure out my daughter or granddaughters, then maybe I'll exert myself to pay attention again, otherwise Screw It.

Can u tell I'm working on my philosophy of how to relate to the  others I encounter on my path through life? I am working to reduce my expectations of others and find how to have a full, rewarding life based on doing what pleases me most. Now I have to figure out what pleases me most! that also doesn't much involve other people!!  More dogs, I guess...........

I answered this way,"I think this is a good approach but I predict you will modify it a bit over time.  Otherwise, Screw It!"

Both commenters are highly intelligent and spirited.  I can fully sympathize with both points, the value of duty and the burden of duty.  As both the Buddha and the Greeks urged, a balanced, middle way through life calls for a little of each: thought and care for others mixed with thought and care for self.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby