Saturday, April 2, 2011

Thinking Thin and Using 6 Seconds

A friend writes:

I wanted to write about dieting. Each of us has explored different diets and different approaches. I began to think that the mind might play a larger part of this than first thought. I've wondered if not only committing to diet plays a part, but also valuing oneself enough actually changes the metabolism.


I believe there is actually a book on "thinking yourself thin". Haven't read it, but perhaps it is saying in print my thought on the subject. Last year I lost 14 lbs, regained four and am now losing again. It isn't conscious thinking about the diet process itself, but allowing myself to be thin and attractive. I put on the weight when my husband was so very terribly ill, and I felt both helpless and worthless at the same time. I have recently given myself permission to be attractive, healthy and able to pursue some of my own dreams. The extra lbs are melting while on a very similar (200) calorie difference) diet. I agree it is basically a matter of calories in and burning them off. Still it remains such a conscious struggle, I'm starting to believe there is at least one other factor involved.

----------------------------------------------

Reading The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, MD persuaded me that everything we do, including think, perceive and accomplish without conscious knowledge is related to the mind.  I am confident that once you are in the mediation habit, any amount of time in meditation matters.  One of my favorite books is Qr: The Quieting Reflex by Charles Stroebel, MD.  It's the book that taught me that while waiting for someone to answer my phone call or for the traffic light to change, I can quickly do a body scan and try to relax any tension I can find and any muscle I don't really want tensed.  Since I am a visually oriented person who tries to observe what there is to see and be aware of what I see might mean, I try, in that 6 second time interval, to consciously explore non-default input channels, such as the feeling in my feet or what I can hear when I try or what I am smelling.  I think it is good for the mobility of my mind and awareness.

Writing to you has gotten me interested in tracking down Think Yourself Thin and related books.  So, I just now purchased and downloaded The Schwarbein Principle by Dianan Schwarbein, MD, and Marilyn Brown.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby