Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Identity

Emergence -

The name often given to the phenomenon of a property being present in the aggregate or mass which is not present in any single individual in the mass or group
No-self -

A fundamental Buddhist tenet that there is nothing at the heart or soul of each of us that is the actual self.  Not our heart, not our brain, not our voice or fingerprints, nothing.  We are just a lovely bunch of atoms working together for a while.  (From my amateurish point of view, this is a complex idea and issue and not one Westerners can grasp fully without help.)
Business cards, logos -

When people design a business card or a logo for themselves or their firm, they try to express quite a few different things: the kind of business, the philosophy it uses, its spirit or nature.  Of course, they try to express those things in a form that is attractive and memorable.
Colors, songs, totem animals, shields and banners - ditto
Vanity car license plates - also ditto
Our plates are "NJOY NOW" and "VERSION"  I have written about the first before.  I found that in the freer time of retirement, I want space, room, action and exploration.  In both my web site and this blog, I purposely try to leave the door open to any thought, any comment or sort of comment, any subject.  These days, I can also add "any medium" since I can add pictures, videos and sounds, too.

I actually wanted to use "EDITION" but that word was already taken.  I have often been impressed with the differences between different editions of a book.  Different versions of what is supposedly the same software can be startling unlike each other.  Just compare an early version of Microsoft Word with the one in Office now.  People have asked why the plate says "Version", I have realized it suits my
Walter Mitty dreams.  I am fully capable of watching Arnold demolish scores of armed enemies and then walk out of the theater changed into a muscular chunk of a hero.  In my head, at least.  Versions of me are not limited by my actual being.  I can be Underdog or the woman whose man is not coming back.  Sometimes, I live in other centuries or was born on a different continent in a different race or ethnic group.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby