Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stands out

I believe in using first impressions.  They aren't always reliable but they often work well for me.  I saw a friend the other day.  He often opens my eyes to valuable ideas and books.  I thought that he might turn around and say,"What can you tell me this time?"  I thought through recent books I had read, asking which one really stood out.  The first one to come to mind was "Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error" by Kathryn Schultz.  It continues to be one of those books that grips me every 2 paragraphs or so.  Here is a except from today:

Recently, for example, while spending some time in Oregon, my home away from home, I took a break from work to go for a bike ride. My destination was a certain alpine lake, and, along the way, I chatted briefly with a somewhat crotchety older man who had been fly-fishing in a nearby river. He asked where I was headed, and when I answered, he told me that I was on the wrong road. I thanked him pleasantly and continued on my way.


I figured he thought I should be on the main thoroughfare, which would have gotten me to my destination faster, while I was opting for a more scenic and roundabout route. I also suspected him of trying to steer me, a young female cyclist, toward an easier option, since the road I had chosen was steep and challenging. Eight miles later, when I rounded a corner and dead-ended into barbed wire and private property, I realized the guy had simply told me the facts. I had taken a wrong turn, and the road I was on wasn't going to get me anywhere near a lake.


I could have saved myself sixteen miles of fairly arduous alpine cycling if I had bothered to have a longer conversation with him, or to take him a bit more seriously. And quite possibly I would have done so—if, say, he had been a little friendlier, or a fellow cyclist, or someone I recognized from town, or a woman. Whatever might have made me pay more attention to this man, in other words, had nothing at all to do with how right he was. This is, unfortunately, a universal truth.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby