Sunday, September 5, 2010

Upstarts, downstarts, overturns but continuity all the while

One of the fundamental principles of Buddhism (and much else) is that "everything changes".  I am not arguing with that.  Clearly, we leave in an ever-changing world inside of ever-changing bodies in an ever-changing society.  However, one of the mistakes in life is to see change where there isn't much, or any at all.  I was hard put to convince 20 year olds that the 15 year olds they knew did not grow up in different times, that the emphases and fashions they themselves knew and dealt with were about the same as the younger group knew.

True, I am aging but I am still alive and kicking.  True, the earth is probably getting a little tired from the machination of humans digging, drinking, paving, and harvesting and I don't know how long we can find a living on the earth.  But as a friend recently said, what can we do but laugh at ourselves and keep on keeping on?

My main computer is gaining weight - who isn't ? - and the extras are slowing it down while complicating it up.  My car continues to need gasoline and other oil products and it continues to age.  The human population of the earth continues to grow.  We are currently up to 6.8 billion and expect to reach 7 billion by fall of 2012.  So, there are more of us and more of us want adequate housing and food, cars and good transportation, good information and education and entertainment.  The book "Limits to Growth" came out in 1972 and we have been fearful of running out of all the good stuff since at least back then. 

Some in this country are up in arms as some always are, about something.  What's new about that?

I am still grateful for my friends, my possessions, my experiences and those that love me.  I am still grateful for all those I love.  I am still grateful for the knowledge gained by all the work and thought those before me struggled with.  I am grateful for the growing recognition that people everywhere have worth and intelligence and something of value to offer others.  I am grateful for the experimentation that proceeds all over the place to find better living quarters, less expensive transportation, happier fuller lives with less crime and disease and handicaps. 

To those who find comfort in seeing death and destruction, sadness and sin, frivolity and falsity in every heart, I say,"Keep up with that theme if it helps you."  But for me, I not only want tight, simple proof of the sky falling before panicking, I want speed and cunning to avoid the provers, if I can.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby