Saturday, April 3, 2010

grandmother wars

It starts off innocently enough.  Your beloved son or daughter admits they have found The One they are ready to marry.  When Lynn and I realized our daughter was quite serious about Dave, we were lying on our backs in bed and suddenly went rigid together with the same thought: we, innocents, will soon be g-g-g-grandparents!  Us!  Grandparents!

Since then, I have learned about the grandmother hypothesis, best explained in my experience in the book by the woman scientific writer Natalie Angier "Woman: An Intimate Geography".  For thinkers, the idea is that grandmothers are the repository of wisdom, knowledge, technique and calm that other humans draw on, especially young mothers and grandkids.  For men, the idea is best summarized by the principle "never get between the grandmother and the grandkids -- that is very dangerous."

My tough, steady and gutsy grandmother was a mainstay in my childhood.  She gave me lots of guidance, ideas and dispassionate praise that helped me grow.

I know a loving, educated US citizen who informed her innocent husband that they would have to fly to Singapore to attend the birth of her first grandchild.  Until then, he never suspected he would be needing to dig out his passport for Christmas.

Sometimes, I read that a basic factor in the life of boys and men is competition, as in games and sports, not to mention fights and wars.  The notion is floated in some circles that women and girls, on the other hand, are sweet, made of sugar, love everyone and all.  Baloney!  Watch girls compete for guys.  Better still, read this account of inter-grandmother competition for the affections of grandchildren.  It's a quiet jungle out there. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby