Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mercury rising

From the fall of 1961 to the end of school in the spring of 1965, I taught the fifth grade.  I had several adventures.  One dealt with science.
 
We had a workdesk that included clamps that could be used for demonstrations.  Each year, we had a unit on weather.  Making an old fashioned mercury barometer seemed promising.  I had a tall glass tube arranged so that I could pump mercury up the tube.  I planned to let atmospheric pressure equalize a column of mercury to show it could do so. 
 
I had the class sit near around the workdesk to watch.  But when I tried to pump mercury up the tube, nothing moved.  I could feel pressure from the pump so it seemed to be working.  I looked along the apparatus and saw a shuttlecock along it.  I realized the shuttlecock was closed and that was my problem.  I opened it. Much bigger problem right away!  The good little pump was holding the pressure I had put in it and the open shuttle allowed the pressure to shoot mercury clear through the open tube near the kids watching the demo. 
 
I really didn’t know much about mercury but I sensed it was not good to fool with.  I sent the class outside on an impromptu recess.  I scooted around the area with a trash can and some index cards.  They were very good at shoveling the mercury into bigger globs and into the trash can.  As I was getting it cleaned up, I realized I had some on my wedding ring.  I thought I remembered something about mercury hurting gold.  I took the class encyclopedia and found an article that stated that it did and that one could separate the mercury off by heating it.  I put the ring on an asbestos stand and put the flame of a Bunsen burner on it.  I was just wondering how hot I had to get the arrangement to vaporize the mercury when I saw the side of the ring melting.  I immediately removed the flame and let the whole thing cool.
 
Later, I showed the ring with its slightly collapsed side to Lynn.  Except for the melted part, we had identical rings.  She took it to a jeweler and asked him to restore it some.  He asked if her boy friend was a mechanic.  I am wearing that slightly collapsed, slightly restored ring right now.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby