Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Why blog?

I try to write something every day.  I started to communicate with teachers in training about the value of meditation.  There are many ways to meditate but Americans often get into activities that develop mindfulness.  I could recite the names of many books that explain what that is and how to develop the sensitivity to one's honest mental moods and impulses.  Over time, more and better sources emerged and I could see that there were plenty of ways for students and others to develop a regular practice.


I didn't start blogging until I retired.  By the time I saw that there were many other sources for meditation instruction, I was in the habit of writing daily.  Just today, I have spent about an hour reviewing different themes and possibilities for today's post.  There is abundant advice to solve various word, number and jigsaw puzzles to keep an aging mind limber and alert.


Many people dislike the prospect of writing daily but I am glad for the pressure and the habit.  I think having the custom helps me stay aware of my life and thoughts.  I developed the practice of recognizing ideas, irritations, gratitude for people and events and that important habit helps me notice possibilities for writing.  Normally, I burden myself to come up with five prompts.  Some days I have more and some days less than five.  When I have more, the prompt or short statement about the essence helps preserve a possibility for later use.  I don't want to go on too long but a list of notes and prompts often suggests a possibility that seems ok for use on other days.  


If you have or give yourself a Gmail address, that opens the door to over 200 services and products you can use, all for free.  One of those is Google Blogspot, which allows a blog to be posted on a web page for anyone to see. That web page has an address: mine is 

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/

Gmail is also a good tool for mailing individual posts directly to email addresses of those who want a daily copy.  If I weren't sending to many relatives, friends and contacts, I would have less interest in blogging.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby