Tuesday, June 11, 2024

What's a computer?

When I began teaching at UWSP School of Education, I had just written my dissertation.  To analyze the data involved, I wrote a program in the computer language Fortran.  When I moved to the campus, I wrote in the faculty newsletter that if anyone wanted to discuss computers, I would be interested.  I was hired by the campus business department to assist faculty in using a computer they rented from IBM for $16,000 a year.  Part of that job was to talk to faculty members about the availability of that rented computer for faculty use.  


A couple of times, I struck up a conversation about the availability of a computer for academic research and was asked, "What is a computer?"  I doubt that I would be asked that today.  At that time, of course, people were not generally carrying a powerful sophisticated computer in their pocket as they are now.  Then, we had to write the routine we wanted the machine to follow, "write the program", a job I found difficult and tedious.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby