Friday, December 29, 2023

Opera

The opera I listen to the most is "The Elixir of Love" by Donizetti.  It comes on two sides and I usually grow impatient after the first one.  But I have listened to the opening tunes many times.  My copy is in English and that helps me get into the story.   The music attracts me immediately.  


The Italian villagers include Nemorino, a young man of very limited means, and Adina, a beautiful young woman of some wealth.  You may not be surprised to learn that Nemorino is deeply attracted to Adina, who can hit high notes and hold them quite a while.  Nemorino asserts that he loves her and will continue to love her "until I die."


The villagers sing happily as the opera opens.  Soon, blowhard # 1 shows up, a sergeant in the army who advises all females to place their hearts in his protection.  We are no sooner finished with the impressive officer than blowhard #2 arrives: Dr. Dulcamara.  I haven't taken the effort to check the credentials of the man but he assures us that he is esteemed throughout the universe and and and "other places".  Dr. D is selling for an astonishingly low price the elixir that will work on another so that if you are the first person your beloved sees after a sip, Bingo!  Beloved will love you!


That ends Side 1 but things continue and you can find out what they are by reading the little guide book.  After difficulties, things work out.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby