Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Provocations

A long time ago, I read Loren Eisley's "The Immense Journey", a consideration of the evolution of life.  Somewhere in that book, he says that all primate males tend toward grouchiness in old age.  I have been feeling grouchy today.  I wonder if I am biologically equipped with a grouch template that is wired to need exercising every now and then.


We are experiencing smoke in the air from Canadian wildfires.  This town of 25,000 is experiencing a temporary influx of a large number of golf fans since the US Senior Golf Tournament is being played on a local golf course.  Several areas of the town are blocked off to accommodate the crowd, which is expected to double the local population.  Is that enough to arouse my grouchiness?  Over the last day, I have developed another instance of sore back muscles with no explanation or excuse.  Backs are famous as sites of discomfort and there are all sorts of muscles for balance, breathing and motion that can become irritated. The best way to deal with the soreness that I have found is to sit with a heating pad and in more severe instances, take a pain pill.


So: smoke, crowd and sharp involuntary pain.  Snarl!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby