Friday, June 30, 2023

He died

Sometimes, I forget that I care about them and like them until I hear they have died.  My college friends were about my age so now we are basically old.  When you are old, death is increasingly likely.  You draw near the end of your years alive. It is not just college friends but also work colleagues and friends from social sources.  It no longer comes as a shock to learn that a person I was close to, but haven't communicated with lately, has died.


I realize that dying is something that can happen at any age.  But these higher-number decades get what seems random hits as a friend here and another there leave this life.  I got a message that a friend had died last week but it was worded somewhat elliptically, and the reference only said he had "gone".  It was abrupt and short.  I assumed the message was referring to death but I wasn't sure.  This week, it is clarified and he did die.  He must have been in poor health because he wrote his own obituary and did a good job of it, too.


I certainly have not done a good job telling people how much they mean to me.  I don't think I can perceive their value nor am I good at explaining in words the value and character they have added to my life and relationships.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby