Saturday, June 10, 2023

Dehydration

Yesterday, I suffered my 2nd bout of severe dizziness. The first time, I was sitting in the passenger seat while Lynn drove to the butcher shop.  Suddenly, I was overtaken with extreme dizziness and some nausea.  She stopped the car and let me walk back and forth on the side of the road.  That was about 7 months ago.  


Yesterday, I was just standing still getting ready to go out and a very similar spell came over me.  I went to see a nurse practitioner and described what happened.  She gave me an EKG and questioned what I drank.  After listing my usual routine, she recommended I up my water intake.  Since age 20, I have been aware of the reports of the importance of drinking enough water.  So, I am still surprised that my usual intake falls short.  I used to follow the idea of 8 glasses of 8 oz. of water a day.  Then, I read a report that such a quantity was more than needed.  But I have also been aware of the dangers of dehydration.  It is fairly common for older people to lose some of their sensitivity to needed water and I have been falling into the habit of drinking too little.


Lynn's stepdad was helicoptered to a hospital in a bad state of dehydration and I thought I was doing what I should to avoid the common older person's trouble.  I am surprised that I have been traveling down a road I didn't realize I was following. The nurse recommended 50 oz of actual water a day and I certainly plan to meet that. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby