Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The equinox is coming

I was surprised when I looked up the fall equinox again that several items mentioned the beginning of spring.  Oh, that's right - all the lands south of the equator experience the beginning of spring when Wisconsin loses daylight and heat, when our deciduous trees turn colors and drop their leaves.  I taught a social studies unit in the 5th grade about industrialized countries of the world being in the north temperate zone of the earth.  But the concept of October and November being spring months is difficult to really face. Google says that 90% of humans live north of the equator.  


I have memorized the idea that seasons change on the 21 of the month, despite the fact that the change moment moves around, I guess from both astronomical effects as well as other causes of slight change.  The fall equinox actual moment is 8:03 PM Central Daylight Time on Thursday, September 22.  Google reports that despite my memorization, the fall equinox has not occurred on the 21 "for several millennia"!  I better re-memorize. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby