Monday, August 1, 2022

Borrowing ebooks

I have several thousand ebooks from Amazon.  Several times in the last few weeks, I have seen a title that sounds interesting and navigated to that book's page.  I have gotten a banner across the page that says I already bought that book.  That means it is already in my library collection and maybe has already been downloaded to one or more of my devices.  I take such an experience to be a sign that I have lots of books and should read more of what I have before buying more.  


I have used the app Overdrive and its newer version "Libby" to borrow ebooks from a consortium of public libraries.  I picked Mondays as the day to look through what is available and pick a few to borrow.  I used Libby a few times and found that I can limit the display to books currently available.  Some very popular books have many "Holds" on them already and might not be available to me for months.  Usually, 15,000 items are currently available, including audiobooks and magazines but I limit the display to ebooks.  


Several times, I looked through ten pages of the display and found that I had read or examined many of the books shown.  But ten pages display 240 titles, not 15,000.  I wanted to get to the middle of the Libby listing and the app has a tool for starting on any page of the 523 pages.  

Tapping on the item in the smaller red circle on the right will bring up the page selection tool.


You can scroll up or down among the page numbers to start looking at available titles.  There are some interesting possibilities when you get beyond the popular ones you have heard about or already looked over.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby