Saturday, April 23, 2022

It's hormones

I grasp Prof. Barrett's message: my brain is not for thinking. Much of its time and energy is engaged keeping my excellent, unique body working as it should.  I grasp Dr. Eagleman's message: I tend to start thinking about a nap or a meal or returning to that great book after my unconscious has tried to steer me and failed or is dealing with several issues and can't decide on just one.  


But this picture is powerfully and helpfully altered by Dr. Louann Brizendine, MD in her book The Female Brain.  I am reading that aloud to Lynn.  Dr. Brizendine steadily discusses hormones.  As several authors mention, most non-human male animals are not bewitched by an hour-glass figure or a woman's creamy skin.  How come men are?  Hormones, especially testosterone.  I have read that the ancient Hebrew thinkers tried to make sense of women's strong desire for pregnancy and motherhood.  Just giving birth resulted in death for many women. And even after surviving birthing, many women wanted it again, even with the pain and discomfort.  How come?  Hormones, especially estrogen and progesterone.  Women get testosterone, too, but it isn't as fundamental for them.


Once women start menstruating, their brains get hormones every month. These chemicals matter powerfully.  Brizendine writes:

The female brain is so deeply affected by hormones that their influence can be said to create a woman's reality.  They can shape a woman's values and desires and tell her, day by day, what's important.


Some academic disciplines and traditions of thought concentrate on what is often called rational or logical thought but it is very clear that all humans at all ages are influenced by other factors.  I thought it was interesting that when I mentioned another book on human hormones, the men I was with took the title to mean "sex".  It is "Aroused" by Randi Hutter Epstein, MD.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby