Sunday, April 24, 2022

A different collection

Books matter and libraries matter.  But other materials get invented and collected and also represent knowledge, thinking and experience.  Lynn wrote her dissertation about librarians dealing with new knowledge materials such as slide-tapes and computer files.


I have a collection of compact discs.  We have a separate shelf of music CD's.  Compact discs can be made in many computers and can store files of other information than music.


I still find the compact discs of music that we have worthwhile.  Many times, when I am preparing a meal, I like to play some music and I like to decide what music to listen to.  I did play some Linda Ronstadt yesterday but it was only to create a strong contrast with the Bach harpsichord I also played.  We have many discs of Mozart, some operatic singing, especially Pavarotti and Beverly Sills, some Strauss and Beethoven.  


Having a good tune in the air while cooking and serving food makes a surprising difference in the mood and pace of the house.  No matter what is being played, it can be irritating and it can get tiresome so I try to have a variety of composers and types of music.  This morning, I pulled out the Vienna Choir Boys singing music from around the world.  It was that disc that taught me about how I missed my darlin' Clementine until I kissed her little sister and forgot my Clementine.  It is also a fine disc for experiencing the syncopation and amazing pauses in South American music.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby