Friday, November 5, 2021

Too many!

I mention books all the time.  I am not trying to sell them or be a pain or a showoff.  I find that living in a college town of 25,000 in the upper midwest is a good place to read and thereby visit all sorts of places, thoughts, times and jokes.  The price of ebooks seems to be rising so that trend is slowing me down at buying them.  I already have thousands and I am very grateful that Amazon has a computer practice of notifying me that I already have a given book when I forget I have it and try to order it again.  


Trying to lessen my ridiculous habit of buying more than I can even open, much less read and comprehend, I am limiting myself to book acquisition on Mondays only. That is just an arbitrary day, but I figure some of the impulse to grab a given book will be dissipated by the time a Monday rolls around.  I have learned how to set the app Libby to show me only ebooks that are available for downloading from public libraries right now, for me to sample, free.  That is a mixed blessing. I can borrow way more than I have time to read.  Besides, I often get hold of a very good book, very well-written, eye-opening, enriching.  I better get right into it but I can't !  I have other books that are calling and they are only available for a short time.  This is the same problem I faced when first using a Kindle e-reader.  That small device holds many books in their entirety.  I was quite aware that the book I was reading was only one possibility and with a tap or two, I could switch over to one of those other fine books that are so good to read.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby