Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Oh, yeah, what about ?

Once I attended some sort of event with a large audience.  A politician opened the proceedings.  He stepped to the microphone and immediately asked all the veterans in the audience to stand.  Many people stood and he said that he thanked them for their service and asked for applause.


I am not a politician but I think that the use of diversions is interesting.  Today, the newsletter "Popular Information" was titled "The Truth about Crime".  The author said that some politicians seem to be interested in focusing on current crime problems.  The newsletter wanted to point out that crime during the pandemic has taken a sizable dip.  I am not experienced with the use of successful diversions but I think I get the idea.  The newsletter shows a picture of the headline "criminal-leniency policies sparked undeniable crime wave".  The inclusion of the word "undeniable" got my interest.  


Who would deny it?  Actually, the conversion of numerical information into language is a tricky business.  I certainly noted the inclusion of a provocative photo of a white man standing on the hood of a cop car, stomping out the windshield.  Between the photo and my fear of bad guys and outlandish disorder, I was all set to get excited.  But the whole point of the writing is that crime has fallen off during the pandemic.  Yeah, and what about the poor children of New York City?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby