Sunday, October 3, 2021

Library books thru Kindle

I have enjoyed using a Kindle for more than ten years.  Many of my heavy reader friends look down on electronic book formats.  They tend to mention the heft, scent and tradition of paper. Usually, the ebooks sell at a lower price and they come through the internet so no driving to the library to get them.  And a nice feature, no driving to return them, either.  Once they are due back, they disappear.


The relevant app is "Libby".  It used to be "Overdrive" and sometimes that word is still relevant and used but Libby is more up-to-date.  


I have an advantage in that most people who read often like mysteries and love stories.  I am far more interested in science, self-improvement, well-written (by my standards) history, some philosophy and some math and computing.  If you want to see what's popular (in ebooks), go to amazon charts.  I just did and I jumped over Harry Potter since the kids can out read anybody.  Up comes"The Last Thing He Told Me" by Laura Dave.  Ok, let's borror that!


I can place a hold on it so that I get it when it is my turn.  The app warns me it will be several months.  133 ecopies can be borrowed thru the Wis. Library Consortium but 380 people are already waiting for those with a copy to finish with it.  I can switch to Amazon and get it downloaded immediately but it will add $13.99 to my credit card bill.  


Some of my relatives just pop on a "hold" and keep using other books and getting other things done until the month or year rolls around when it arrives.  I don't care much what the last thing he told her was and I tap "Non-fiction".  I usually get one book at a time but today I pictured myself at the new books shelf in the actual library building.  When there, if I see maybe three books of interest, I check them out and take them home.  I look thru each one and I might wind up reading one.  If I really like or "need" it, I get a copy, ecopy if it is cheap enough or used copy otherwise.  


One of several features of the Kindle I like is that I can highlight with my fingertip and the software collects all the highlights in a single file which I can email to myself.  Finding such a file for a book I read 5 or 10 years ago enables me to recall what was important to me quickly.


I borrowed books on weight control, habit control and sleep.  Over the next 14 days, I will suck the juice from each.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby